Call for Abstracts
Late-breaking abstract submissions for ICIEM 2021 have closed.
Late-breaking abstracts include submissions on research that encapsulate a new and important finding of high scientific interest. Late-breaking abstracts must not have been accepted for publication of published in a journal at the time of submission, and must not have been presented at any other scientific meeting.
If your abstract is not accepted for the late-breaking session you may be offered the opportunity to present your work as a digital poster.
Standard abstract submissions for ICIEM 2021 have closed.
The ICIEM 2021 Organising Committee and Scientific Program Committee thank you for your submissions. We were delighted to receive submissions from over 45 countries. Authors were notified of their submission outcomes on Monday 30 August 2021.
Register now to join this dynamic program
On the second day of the Congress there are specific parallel mini-symposia for Allied Health (e.g. nursing, counselling and dietetic), Laboratory and Adult Metabolic Medicine. Abstracts will be considered for these sessions within the abstract submission portal. Abstract submissions were received on the following program themes.
- Inborn errors of metabolism in adults
- Novel diagnostic/laboratory methods including omics
- Innovative therapies such as RNA-based therapy, gene therapy and regenerative medicine
- Metabolic myopathies
- Newborn screening
- Allied Health
- Amino acid disorders
- Urea cycle disorders
- Organic acidurias
- Carbohydrate disorders
- Disorders of fatty acid oxidation and ketone body metabolism
- Mitochondrial disorders
- Disorders of purines, pyrimidines, nucleic acids and porphyrias
- Lysosomal disorders
- Glycosylation disorders/CDG, protein modification disorders
- Neurotransmitter and creatine related disorders
- Disorders of vitamins, cofactors and trace elements
- New Diseases
- Clinical studies, patient reported outcome measures, outcome
Please read the below submission guidelines before commencing your abstract submission.
- Abstract format and layout guidelines
- General policies and requirements
- Submitting your abstract
- Author notification
- Abstracts must not exceed a 250 word limit. The word limit relates only to the text of the abstract and does not include title, authors and institutions. Please ensure you delete the instructions from the abstract template and DO NOT include author name or affiliation in your uploaded document. The author name and affiliation will be automatically included in the final PDF.
- Please use Arial type font and font size 12 for the abstract text. Formatting is preserved (italics, bold, superscripting, subscripting, underlining) and symbol characters (i.e. ± , μ, ß) may be used. Use single line spacing. Text should be fully justified.
- Type the abstract title in the field provided on the online submission form. The template will allow a title of up to 200 characters in length. Please enter title in sentence case only. If your title includes acronyms or nouns which require capitalisation, please email the Congress Managers at email@example.com to have these updated on your behalf.
- Paper abstracts will only be accepted in a .doc and .docx format, following the format used in the abstract submission template.
- Abstracts must be free of typographical and grammatical errors and use sentence case for headings.
- Abbreviations should be given in brackets after the first full use of the word. Abbreviations may be used in the title, provided the name in full is outlined in the body of the abstract.
- You will be asked to provide a short biography (up to 150 words) and photo with your submission. This photo and biography will be added to the Virtual Platform and may be provided to the session chairperson. For assistance in drafting a biography, please refer to the recommended biography template.
- Add co-authors in the ‘Author(s)’ section of the submission page. All presenting authors must be indicated at this stage. Please provide a biography and photo for all presenting authors.
- All abstracts must be submitted by the abstract deadline of Tuesday 6 July 2021. Abstracts submitted after this date will not be considered.
- Special Award Presentation abstracts will be open for submission from Monday 13 September 2021 and must be submitted by Thursday 30 September 2021.
- All abstracts must be original work. An abstract should not be submitted if the work has been presented at a major international meeting.
- An abstract must contain sufficient information so that if published, it will be a complete report independent of presentation. The text should not contain statements alluding to results or conclusions not presented within the text.
- Submission acknowledges consent to publication of the abstract in the Congress proceedings and via the Virtual Platform.
- The presenting author will be required to register for the Congress in order to ensure their abstract(s) is included in the final program by Wednesday 15 September 2021.
- All submissions must be completed electronically via the online submission facility. If you are unable to submit in this manner, please contact the Congress Managers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All abstracts must be prepared according to the abstract format and layout guidelines provided. Abstracts will only be accepted and published if submitted using the supplied template, available here.
- There is no limit to the number of abstracts that may be submitted by an individual. However, splitting of a body of work into multiple abstracts is discouraged and consolidation into one abstract is preferred.
Abstract submissions will only be accepted via the Congress website.
Please have completed the following before commencing your abstract submission. You cannot save progress for submission later.
- Prepared your abstract as per the abstract format and layout guidelines
- Have ready author and co-author photos and biographies
- Read and understand the general Policies and requirements to submitting an abstract
Please note: you will need to set up a new account in the portal, even if you have set up an account for previous events.
- Click on ‘Create an author account’ on the right hand side. After completing your details you will be sent an email to verify your account for login. Please remember your account password in case you need to access it again to make any changes to your submission.
- Once logged in, click ‘Submit abstract’ to access the submission page.
- Select your preferred presentation type.
- Enter your paper title in the ‘Paper title’ field.
- Upload your abstract document in the box provided. Abstracts will only be accepted in a .doc and .docx format, following the format used in the abstract submission template. DO NOT include the abstract title or author details in your abstract document.
- List all authors in the correct order in the ‘Author(s)’ section, ensuring you indicate the presenting authors for the abstract.
- Select your abstract theme from the list provided.
- Answer the additional questions at the bottom of the submission form.
- Click ‘Preview and submit’. You will be able to preview your abstract in PDF and make any changes if required.
- While on the preview window, click ‘Submit’ to confirm your submission.
If you experience any technical issues while submitting your abstract or would like any changes made to the PDF of your abstract, please contact us at email@example.com.
Authors were notified of their submission outcome on Monday 30 August 2021. Late-breaking abstract authors will be notified by Friday 6 October 2021. The Congress will not be held responsible for abstract submissions not received via the website or for submission errors caused by internet service outages, hardware or software delays, power outages or unforeseen events.